WHAT IS DERMAPLANING?
Dermaplaning is a method of exfoliation that consists of using a scalpel to gently remove the layer of dull, dead skin cells and vellus hair in order to reveal a smoother, brighter complexion.
WHO CAN HAVE DERMAPLANING?
All skin types can benefit from Dermaplaning. Even men can be treated (over non-bearded areas only). It is particularly beneficial for clients suffering with:
• Fine lines and wrinkles
• Acne scarring
• Fine vellus facial hair (peach fuzz)
• Uneven & rough skin
• Dull skin
It is important to always discuss any allergies or skin sensitivities with your technician before starting a treatment
This is a great treatment if you are pregnant or nursing and want exfoliation without the use of chemicals.
HOW IS DERMAPLANING DIFFERENT FROM A PEEL?
Dermaplaning is a manual exfoliation process that does not use acids or enzymes to remove dead skin cells. All of the exfoliation is achieved during your treatment and you will not peel or visibly shed skin after your service, while Peels can result in dramatic peeling in the days following a service. Dermaplaning provides a good alternative to peels for those who desire professional grade exfoliation without the potential social downtime.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT DURING MY SERVICE?
Dermaplaning is a painless treatment that includes deep cleansing, professional exfoliation in the form of dermaplaning followed by serum and moisturizer suited to your skintype or condition. Dermaplaning has a similar sensation to a close shave which removes vellus hair and dead skin cells simultaneously.
HOW LONG IS THE TREATMENT?
30 - 45 minutes.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT AFTER MY SERVICE?
You’ll immediately look more radiant with a more even skin tone and texture. While the main objective of this treatment is exfoliation, the immediate removal of peach fuzz is an added benefit which renders the skin exceptionally smooth and soft. Skin care products are able to penetrate the skin better following a dermaplaning service which allows them to work more efficiently. Your cosmetics will also go on smoother. After the treatment, your skin will be highly sensitive to sun exposure and may look pink, so be sure to wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher to reduce the risk of hyperpigmentation(dark marks or discoloration).
WILL MY HAIR GROW BACK THICKER AND DARKER?
No, this is physiologically impossible. The soft, fine vellus hair will grow back slowly – usually in about 4 weeks and no different than it was previously
HOW OFTEN CAN THIS PROCEDURE BE DONE?
Dermaplaning can be carried out every 3-4 weeks. Treating the skin in this manner removes about 2 – 3 weeks’ worth of dead skin cells. You should always leave enough time between treatments to allow the skin to complete its normal skin cycle of approximately 30 days before repeating.
CAN DERMAPLANING BE PREFORMED ALONGSIDE ANY OTHER TREATMENTS?
Yes. Dermaplaning is generally at its most effective right before an LED Light Therapy treatment as it helps to enhance the absorption of light into the skins epidermis, speeding up the benefits
WHAT ARE THE PRE AND POST CARE PROCEDURES?
In order to achieve the best results, it is best to follow the pre and post care instructions.
Prior to your procedure, clients are advised of the following:
• Do not use Retin-A or other exfoliating creams 72 hours prior to your treatment.
• Avoid sun tanning or tanning creams/sprays for at least a week before treatment
• You must NOT have recently had laser surgery or used Accutane. Accutane (isotretinoin) therapy, also known as isotretinoin, is a medication on the market to treat acne. During therapy and up to 6 months after completing isotretinoin, the skin is highly sensitive and chances of scarring are high; therefore, it is recommended you wait at least 6 months after completing therapy to consider Dermaplaning
• Clients who have had a recent chemical peel or other skin procedure, such as Botox or filler injections, should wait two weeks before undergoing Dermaplaning.
• Clients should also refrain from waxing the skin to be treated for 72 hours prior to Dermaplaning
• Clients must not have an active cold sore. If you are prone to cold sores, please let us know so we can discuss your options
To maximize dermaplaning recovery time and results, it is important to follow all post-procedure instructions below:
• Wash your face with a gentle, acid-free cleanser, tepid water and avoid topical products that contain alpha or beta hydroxyl acids, retinols or Retin-A for approximately 72 hours (longer if possible). If irritation occurs after applying the above products, wait a few more days to allow your skin to heal. Under no circumstances should you use a product that abrades the skin within the 72-hour period (no scrubs), nor should you submerge the treated area in chlorinated pool or hot tub for 3 to 5 days.
• Avoid sun exposure as much as possible for a minimum of 14 days post treatment. If you must be in the sun, apply SPF 30 or greater, reapply often, wear a wide-brimmed hat, and seek shade when possible.
• Avoid excessive heat 14 days post treatment, i.e. heavy workouts, steam rooms or saunas, etc.
• Avoid chlorine for 24 hours
• Avoid facial waxing for 7 days
• Avoid dermal fillers and Botox for 2 to 3 weeks.
• Do not pick, scratch or aggressively rub the treated area.
• No scrubs, polishers or aggressive brushes should be used for 7 days.
• Makeup may be worn if the skin is not broken.
• Do apply serums as absorption levels will, and therefore effectiveness is increased.
You may experience slight peeling for the first few days. Slight windburn sensation and/or blotchiness are normal for the first few days. Skincare products may tingle or slightly burn for the first 2 days.